Wednesday, February 12, 2014

Oaken Gin Negroni

{Are you a food or drink blogger in Edmonton? Come to The Common on March 4th and meet up with fellow food bloggers from our fair city! Details here.}

A few years ago I picked up bottle of Oaken Gin made by Victoria Spirits. I already loved their gin - Complex with juniper and delicate spicing. Aged in oak barrels giving it a rich caramel like layer as well? I'm there.

Then it sat on my shelf for awhile. I tried it straight a few times (sometimes a girl just needs her gin), and then put it back on the shelf, all the while still drinking my favourite Negroni. Finally I swapped out the called for gin for the oaken gin. Success. It lends a more interesting sweetness, and slight smokiness, to the bitter-sweet-spice combo that makes this cocktail so well loved. This recipe also reminds me - just a bit - of the barrel aged version of the drink I enjoyed at Clyde Common back in 2011. I've noted my preferred recipe below.




Oaken Gin Negroni
Adapted from Michael Rhulman

1 1/2 oz Victoria Oaken Gin (I don't like ice here, so the extra gin seems to make all the difference)
1 oz Campari
1 oz sweet vermouth (I like this Vya version)
Orange peel for garnish

Place some ice in a measuring glass of your choice. Combine the gin, Campari and vermouth. Stir for about 90 seconds and strain into a chilled glass. Garnish with the orange peel.

Happy Valentine's Day! We'll be drinking these rosy red things and watching House of Cards.

2 comments:

Elyse Chatterton said...

Gin o clock is my favourite time of any day!

Unknown said...

Haha! Such a good time of day!