Thursday, February 6, 2014

Corpse Reviver

{Are you a food or drink blogger in Edmonton? Come to The Common on March 4th and meet up with fellow food bloggers from our fair city! Details here.}

I picked up 'An Illustrated Guide to Cocktails' at the library last week and have been trying my best to make some cocktails I wouldn't ordinarily pull together at home (I continue to default to the bitter-sweet-spice and ease of the Negroni). First up, the Corpse Reviver, and my first opportunity to use a little bottle of absinthe I acquired over the holidays.


This one is easy enough to bring together, with non-neon-green absinthe the only sometimes hard to find item (I've seen plenty of these little St. George Spirit's bottles around town though). Place the ingredients, along with ice, into a shaker (or in my case, an old thermos, because I'm classy like that) and shake. Then strain into a coupe or whatever glass you want to use.

The 'guide' notes that this drink was created as a hangover cure... Yeah, this is a potent punch. Delicious, although I would dial back the lemon to just a 1/2 oz in the future, especially with this particular (heavily spiced) absinthe.

As for the book in general, I can't recommend it enough. It has fun illustrations all the way through (who doesn't love a book with many, many pictures!?), and tall tales about the beginnings of classic cocktails. Plus, it's available at the library.

No comments: