Thursday, February 20, 2014

An almost Manhattan

{Are you a food or drink blogger in Edmonton? Come to The Common on March 4th and meet up with fellow food bloggers from our fair city! Details here.}

Just before Christmas, I wandered over to Plum and found a whole bunch of preserves from Mojo Jojo Preserves. Although I was tempted to walk away with everything, I limited it to a jar of Drunken (Brandied) Cherries. Eventually I plan to make the black forest cupcakes in the Mast Brothers book and use them as toppers, but for now, they are very pleasant in a Manhattan.


I should mention that I have yet to invest in a bottle of rye or bourbon (for shame), so out came my bottle of whiskey from Breuckelen Distilling, which seemed to work well enough. And although a classic Manhattan contains only Angostura bitters, I like a recipe from Bitters that suggests using half Angostura/aromatic and half orange bitters - A perfect mix of bitter and sweet.


A Manhattan made with whiskey from Brooklyn and cherries from Edmonton
Adapted from Bitters by Brad Thomas Parsons

2oz Whiskey (really though, it should be rye or bourbon)
1oz Sweet vermouth (again that Vya one)
1 dash aromatic or Angostura bitters
1 dash orange bitters
Garnish - Drunken Cherry (or amarena cherry or lemon twist)

Fill a mixing glass about half way with ice and add everything but the garnish. Stir thoroughly until chilled then strain into a coupe or other glass. Garnish with a cherry or lemon twist.

No comments: