Tuesday, April 29, 2014

Southside

I don't want to jinx it or anything, but the warm weather, patios and length of my workdays has been increasing. It must almost be spring. That means saying a temporary goodbye to the rich, brown sipping liquids of the winter, and hello to my very favourite - gin. While browsing Food 52 last week, I came across this lovely looking thing.

I enjoyed citrus throughout the winter (this lemony corpse reviver, for instance), so the mint makes for a fresh transition. Not only that, but the ingredients - gin, simple syrup, lime and mint - are easy enough to keep on hand, and come together quickly. I'm looking forward to a couple slices of cucumber a little later in the season for an Eastside.

A little note on the hipster cocktail shaker there. Yes. A belated birthday gift from a friend {believe me, he saw this and loved the irony... Hipster}. I didn't have a cocktail shaker before, so this worked out well, and just in time for the summer when drinks want to be shaken.

Anyways, I've been on the hunt for a while, and after reading a whole lot of reviews, seriously considered this one. Just look at it. I couldn't do it. While the mason jar thing has certainly run its course, this shaker did not leak, and it holds a lot of boos. The two main items on my list. My only complaint is that the un-insulated glass vessel can be a little chilly on the hands. I guess that's what those hand knit cozies are for...

Southside
From Erik Lombardo of Food 52

2oz gin (I used Victoria)
1oz lime juice
3/4oz simple syrup
4-6 mint leaves

Place ingredients in a shaker and shake. Strain into your glass of choice.

1 comment:

Isabelle said...

Hahahaha...that would have been a conversation piece for sure. I like the jar one though. We actually have two cocktail shakers, though to be honest I don't use them that much. One stainless steel and one sweet vintage glass one we picked up at the antique mall.