Saturday, March 8, 2014

Old Fashioned for the North


This drink is actually named the Toronto, but given the outstanding rye produced just south of us, I feel like it's okay to appropriate it. I also didn't want to call this post 'The Toronto', because I've got nothing to report on Rob Ford, and have driven through TO once on the way to the airport.

I wish I would have gotten it together to share during the -20 weather - The Fernet-Branca lends extra warmth to the whisky, making it the perfect cozy-up-indoors beverage. But I'll likely still enjoy one or two whilst watching the snow head out. Summer is coming fast, people!


Toronto for Edmonton
Adapted from 'Bitters' by Brad Thomas Parsons

2oz Alberta Springs Dark Horse Whisky
1/4oz Fernet Branca
1/4 simple syrup
2 dashes aromatic bitters (I've been using Scrappy's)
Orange or lemon garnish

Fill a mixing glass half way with ice and add everything but the garnish. Mix and enjoy in whatever glass you would like (I have accumulated a giant ice cube tray, and really wanted to use an ice cube...).

No comments: