Wednesday, November 17, 2010

In waiting

The Fall semester will be done in four weeks and five hours, and I'm impatient for guilt free days and evenings of reading (books of my choice), work, and some lengthy baking/cooking sessions.

As I scramble to finish research papers and presentations, Josée Johnston and Shyon Baumann's book - Foodies: Democracy and Distinction in the Gourmet Foodscape - is waiting to be read. I found it a couple weeks ago on the book shelf where texts for the "Foodie Culture" seminar were held (I always assume the bookstore over orders, so if I've screwed you out of a text, I'm sorry. But seriously, they've been there since August.). I'm expecting a good critique of professional food writing, the authentic and exotic, food politics and food blogging, amongst other topics, so I'll try to do a couple posts if it turns out to be constructive, which I think it will.


The authors were on Q way back in June, but sadly they didn't post the interview (or I just can't find it). What Jian seemed to focus on in the interview though, was the 'foodie' label, however, I don't think any consensus on the word's meaning was found.

No comments: